Mr. Marks is a highly skilled and aggressive advocate and is considered to be one of California's preeminent trial lawyers. He has been involved in numerous high-profile cases, and is particularly recognized for his creativity in defending criminal cases. A well-known example is his defense of a Disney executive who was charged with internet sex crimes in the federal district court in Los Angeles. The jury was unable to reach a verdict, and the Government did not retry the case after Mr Marks had successfully argued that the internet is a "fantasy world", creating a legal theory that would subsequently be used in similar cases for years to come.
As a result of the respect received throughout the legal community, Mr. Marks has earned substantial recognition through various accolades, awards and speaking engagements:
- Mr. Marks has been listed as a California Super Lawyer by Los Angeles Magazine every year since 2004.
- He has been named “Criminal Defense Attorney of the Year” by the Century City Bar Association.
- He is a past Chairman of the White Collar Crimes Committee of the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
- Mr. Marks was featured in Los Angeles Magazine's May 2000 cover story, “Pit Bull Lawyers”, being recognized for his success in aggressively advocating complex criminal cases.
- He is a member of the Criminal Courts Bar Association.
- As a member of the Federal Indigent Defense Panel from 1971 until 1979, Mr. Marks handled hundreds of Federal criminal cases, including many trials.
- Year after year, Mr. Marks has received the coveted A+ rating from Martindale- Hubbell® for his professional abilities and his adherence to the highest ethical standards. Martindale-Hubbell is recognized as the gold standard in attorney ratings.
- He served as a member of the Board of Governors of California Attorneys for Criminal Justice from 1998 through 2001.
- He has conducted several law seminars for Pepperdine University School of Law in Malibu, California, and has been invited to speak at various bar associations throughout the country.
Mr. Marks is an extremely experienced and competent attorney, dedicated to vigorously defending the rights of individuals and companies accused of criminal conduct. He has the knowledge, experience and skill to achieve the best possible results in any state or federal criminal proceeding.